Mackerel can be cooked in a thousand ways, but smoked mackerels are the best amongst the lot. Today we are going to see an easy-to-make yet delicious recipe to cook Smoked mackerel.
The inviting subtleness of smoked mackerels is complemented by the spices to perfection. Also, smoking helps to preserve them in a refrigerator for a long time.
- Recipe: Smoked Mackerel
- Meal course: Main or side dish
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooking appliance: Electric smoker
- Key ingredient: Applewood chips
- Mackerel (whole and cleaned)
- Sea salt as required
- Soaked wood chips
- Clean the mackerel inside out and remove the guts. Rub the sea salt on both the inside and outside portion of the fish. Leave it aside for 1 hour.
- Till then soak your wood chips in water as they create slow and consistent smoke. After that, preheat the smoker up to 250F.
- Wash the mackerel pieces in cold water and pat them dry. Place the fishes over your cooking grates and let them smoke for around 40 minutes. Insert a sharp knife into the flesh; it is precisely cooked if it turns out to be tender and white inside.
Salty and flavor-filled mackerel is now ready to complement your meals!
Master Chef’s tips
Monitor the smoking process at regular intervals and add wood chips if required.
This is a simple process of creating smoked mackerel which tastes great on its own, but you can even experiment it with other types of sauces and dips to explore unique flavors.